Moving up to High School is a big step for your young person – and for you too! It is very different from Primary school. Your young person will be given increasing levels of responsibility for their own learning, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be just as involved. Parents always have a role.
Part of High School is preparing your young person for the next step, whether that is work or further learning. To help with YOUR move to High School, Forrester Parent Council has compiled some information we think you will find useful.
We have added all the information below alternatively you can download a PDF of this document by clicking here.
- School starts at 8:30am. A warning bell sounds at 8:25am.
- It is really important to encourage your young person to get to school in good time.
- School ends at 3:30pm, Monday to Thursday and 12:25 on Fridays.
- Forrester High School has a useful website; forresterhighschool.org.uk
- Included in the website; calendar of events, contact details & curriculum information
- There is also a dedicated section for the Parent Council.
Forrester HS app
- FHS has a school app which can be downloaded from the Apple & Google Play Store.
- You can keep in touch with all events, news & receive important messages.
- To download the app search ‘SSA’ or ‘SSA Apps Central’. Once you have opened the app, just search for ‘Forrester High’
- The school has a dress code. Details can be found on the school website under the ‘The School’ & then ‘Dress Code’.
- Uniform orders MUST be done on-line. School uniform CANNOT be purchased at the school.
- Details of how to order will be shared with primary schools before the Easter break and arrangements can be made to have the Dress Code delivered to the primary school.
- Forrester High School staff encourage the wearing of FHS Dress Code on the 3 day transition event in June.
- A wide variety of food and drink is available in the school cafeteria and you can buy a two course lunch for £2.55, or purchased to the value of £2.55 if your child receives free school meals.
- The cafeteria operates a cashless system; use ParentPay to top up your child’s Young Scot card, enabling them to buy food.
- No need to go hungry! If your young person loses their card, they should go the office and they will advise what to do.
Sugar Free Zone
- Forrester High School is a sugar free zone and actively discourages drinking of any fizzy, high sugar, energy drinks on the school grounds or in the school building.
- There are a number of water fountains around the school and young people are encouraged to bring their own water bottles, topping them up at appropriate times throughout the school day.
- Forrester operates a cashless system for all transactions, including school meals, trips and items such as Home Economics and CDT.
- The school will provide details on how to register for ParentPay.
- Edmodo is an electronic resource that teachers use to communicate homework to pupils and parents.
- Your young person’s teacher will issue a code to allow access.
- This is a school reward system which rewards positivity and good behaviour in years S1-3.
- Regular trips and incentives are in place to encourage young people to engage fully, with this support. Best behaviour, best learning!
Asking For Help
- If you have queries, concerns or issues about your child’s time at Forrester, please contact your young person’s Pupil Support Leader.
- Your child’s Pupil Support Leader (PSL) will be known to you on allocation of their House class, shared on transition days in June.
- Your first point of contact is firstname.lastname@example.org or 0131 334 9262
- If your young person is off sick, or has an appointment, please contact the school on email@example.com or 0131 334 9262
Forrester Parent Council
- Forrester Parent Council is open to all parents and carers. Meetings are posted on the school website and take place five or six times per year. We work with the school on activities that help support the welfare and education of our young people. We welcome new members at any time, but do feel free to come along without fear of having to make any commitments!
This information has been provided by Forrester High School Parent Council. If you have any information you would like added, please contact at firstname.lastname@example.org