You may have heard our children talking recently about how they’ve been developing a ‘Growth Mindset’ at Carrick Knowe. Every class has been looking at and learning about the two types of mindsets that children and adults can have. These are called a ‘fixed’ mindset and a ‘growth’ mindset and you can find out more about these below.
We’ve also developed our very own superheroes to help us develop a more ‘growth’ mindset – can you name each one!?
Below is an overview of the traits of each mindset:
- I like my work to be easy.
- I don’t like to try a challenge.
- I want people to praise me for how clever I am.
- I believe I cannot change how clever I am.
- I don’t like to try new things because I won’t be very good at it.
- I give up easily.
- I never give up.
- I like my work to be difficult – it means I am learning.
- I love challenges.
- I want people to praise me for the effort I put into my work.
- I believe I can get more intelligent by working hard.
- I feel clever when I’m learning something new.
- I learn from my mistakes.
It has been proven that having a Growth Mindset can improve children’s progress and attainment. As a result, we are teaching our children that by having a Growth Mindset they can grow their brains and intelligence and achieve anything they want!
Can I Help At Home? YES!
This year we’ve been running workshops to help parents understand more about these mindsets and how they can best support their children. Below we have listed some examples of how a growth mindset can be supported at home:
- Praise the amount of effort your child is putting into things rather than how clever they are.
- Talk to your children about their brain being like a muscle – the more they use it, the stronger it gets.
- Encourage your children to not give up if they are finding something difficult.
- Let them know that everyone makes mistakes and they shouldn’t be afraid to give things a go.
- Encourage your children to try something new or challenging.
During our Growth Mindset lessons and assemblies, we’ve been working with Mojo and Katie to find out more! Check out some of the videos by clicking the link below: